I love granola! I often use it on soy or coconut yoghurt, with plant based milk or as a crunchy topping on my delicious smoothie bowls. This homemade granola is a far more healthy option than mostly store bought as it doesn’t contain sugars, unrefined oil and naturally sweetened. You just can’t beat freshly baked granola with wholesome ingredients that you can mix and match however you like. Mostly the basis consist of oats, syrup, vanilla essence and coconut oil, but after its up to you which kind of flavour or which kind of dry fruits, nuts and seeds you want to add to your batch. I always add nuts and seeds to my homemade granola for flavor, texture, extra nutrients and added healthy protein.
This delicious healthy granola is packed with nutrition, flavor and texture to satisfied you and give you a natural energy in the morning. Recipe yields about 8 cups granola, enough for about 16 half-cup servings.
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free granola)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple or argave syrup
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup dried fruit, chopped if large (I used mulberries, raisins, cranberries and goji berries
- 1 ½ cup raw nuts and/or seeds (I used cashew and almonds, flax and chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon fine-grain sea-salt
Preheat oven to 180 celsius / 350 Fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt and cinnamon. Stir to blend.
Pour syrup of choice, oil and vanilla into the bowl and stir well with the dry ingrediens. Mix well, until every nut and oat is lightly coated. Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer. Bake until golden, about 21 to 23 minutes, stirring halfway. The granola will further crisp up as it cools.
Let the granola cool off before you break it to into smaller pieces and mix in the dried fruit. Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.
* Replace the dried fruits with raw cocoa nibs and 1 tablespoon of raw cocoa for a tasty chocolate treat!